No one is sure yet. Potential cat paw diseases include eosinophilic granuloma, plasma cell pododermatitis, digital squamous-cell carcinoma, and autoimmune disorders such as pemphigus foliaceus. When you remove the compress from your cat's paw, rinse it thoroughly under running water in the sink. A cat with a broken leg or paw bone holds its leg completely off the ground and typically walks with a limp or places just a small amount of weight on a sprained or injured paw or leg, according to Doctors Foster and Smith. Potential cat paw diseases include eosinophilic granuloma, plasma cell pododermatitis, digital squamous-cell carcinoma, and autoimmune disorders such as pemphigus foliaceus. My 2 year old stray kitty was just diagnosed with pododermatitis on only her front paw. Be it due to cold weather, dry air, excessive walking, or just a lack of hydration, this can occur for a number of reasons, and should always be addressed. The vet can often diagnose the condition simply by looking at the affected feet, but the vet may also take a sample from the affected area (a biopsy) for further tests. Research has yet to discover its exact cause. Cuts can freak people out, especially if there's a lot of blood. Cat Paw Care Guide Getting Started. Since it is believed that feline plasma cell pododermatitis is due to an underlying activation of the immune system, treatment is aimed at controlling the immune response. T… One of them bit his paws n there r 2 deep puncture wounds. If you touch the pad, the cat will often pull away in discomfort, as the swelling also causes tenderness. If your cat has been diagnosed with Pillow Paw, there is hope and help. Reply Delete Combine 118 ml (1/2 cup) Epsom salts with 4.5 litres (1 gallon) warm or room-temperature water in a bucket. Regular cat paw care that includes inspections and cleaning will not only help keep your kitty's paws clean and safe for licking, but also allow you to manage dry and cracked paws, cuts and other injuries before they can become infected. Your cat's paw pad may seem just a little tender and puffy -- nothing serious, you might think. Most times, cats will lick or nip at the paw that is irritated, calling your attention to it. Or can it be pillow paw without the other symptoms? Regular cat paw care that includes inspections and cleaning will not only help keep your kitty's paws clean and safe for licking, but also allow you to manage dry and cracked paws, cuts and other injuries before they can become infected. With Pillow Paw, excess plasma is produced and the padding of the paw becomes soft, swollen, and inflamed. Feline Epsom salts soak. Pillow paw might sound funny -- imagine a cat walking around with pillows for paws -- but it's no laughing matter for the suffering feline. Vet prescribed oral doxycyline followed by a steroid/antibiotic combo injection a month later. In some cases, if the pillow paw is bad enough, your veterinarian may suggest surgery. [10] Your vet can give you some tips about how to handle the cat while doing this, as felines generally make poor patients! Call to Action Get Social Find us on Facebook. The surgery is relatively simple, but, in severe cases, cats can lose some of the affected pads. The cat's body has an inflammatory response to an antibody or infection. Longhaired cats with a lot of fur on their feet are especially prone to this, as the fur can trap moisture or cat litter, creating an environment that promotes infection. In turn, these excess plasma cells cause swelling in the padding on the bottom of the cat's foot. ... (Pillow Foot) in Cats. They told me he was in a hoarding situation along with Mason my other cat who was 9 months old. "Pillow paw" is a somewhat rare, mysterious ailment. Pillow paw is also an indicator of more serious conditions like feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV). When physical symptoms are evident, a veterinary exam may be enough for diagnosis. Copyright 2021 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. Cats with pillow paw often start to limp or show signs of discomfort when walking, and on inspection, the pads will probably seem swollen. Attempt to confine your burned cat by grabbing her by the scruff, or back, of the neck. If the cat's body detects an infection or an antibody, the immune system produces excess plasma cells. If your cat gets burned seriously, DO NOT do any of the five following items: 1. While the link between the illnesses is fuzzy, some cats with pillow paw test positive for FIV or FeLV. If only one foot is affected, it is most likely pododermatitis, a skin infection of the foot. Use ice cubes on the burn site because you risk your cat developing hypothermia. In the event that there is a more serious underlying medical condition, that cat's symptoms will be treated first. However this has continued to happen to nearly every paw, in rotation. To make a salt water solution boil the kettle, measure out a cup of water,and add half a teaspoon of salt. Treatment For A Swollen Paw Infections. Microchipping Could Save your Pet's Life. Cat Paw Care Guide Getting Started. The poor kitty will start to favor the affected paw. We are 2 days in of compounded doxy and she ha… Pododermatitis in Cats. Feeding your cat a low-carbohydrate, anti-inflammatory, hypoallergenic diet, along with medications from your veterinarian, can make a big difference. When this happens, you may also see bloody footprints around the house. 2. The cat's foot pads may even need to be completely removed. "Manual of Skin Diseases of the Dog and Cat"; Sue Patterson, "The Pet Lover's Guide to Cat and Dog Skin Diseases"; Karen L. Campbell. Your vet may need to remove larger sores and ulcers surgically. Hi everyone. Talk to your vet. Email customer care at support@paw.com and include the following information: –In the subject line, please write "Return Request." Also, you can’t put a bandaid on a cat. I wasn't sure if this could be pillow paw because he doesn't have any of the other symptoms (bleeding etc). 15 October 2015 The first sign of pillow paw disease is swelling. His paw has never loked better! My cat has the same problem I believe. We’ve had two foster cats (Jimmy D and Skrootchie) in the past 6 months diagnosed with this condition and Jenni’s had a third in her practice – and it’s supposed to be rare!Basically Pillow Foot involves a swelling of more than one of a cats paw pads, usually with a ‘mushy’ appearance. Scientists aren't exactly sure what causes the condition, but pillow paw (or bad paw) is relatively uncommon. Any problems with a cat's paw can cause serious pain and discomfort. –In the body of the email, please be sure to include your order# (emailed to you when you made … My female cat was giving out the mating call, leading to many male suitors hovering around our house. You must consult a veterinarian if your cat develops pillow paw symptoms. He may be able to diagnose the condition just by examining the paws of the feet. Pneumothorax in Dogs and Cats. In severe cases, the pad itself can split open. Your veterinarian is your main source of relief for your cat’s painful swollen paw. Failure to treat pillow paw disease can lead to secondary infections and lameness. Worked for us, might work for you. A cat could even need supportive care if they suffer from a severe flare-up of an autoimmune disorder. You may need to give these drugs to your cat orally, but some vets will also inject the steroids, particularly for cats that refuse to swallow pills or liquids. If there is bleeding, apply direct pressure to the injury. The first time we thought he had cut himself right along the top of his pad. Then stir to dissolve and leave to cool. What is known is that it's related to the immune system. Pneumonia Management in Dogs and Cats. Mild cases of pillow paw will sometimes disappear without treatment, but it's always a good idea to take the animal to a vet clinic. Hi, my name is Risa, and I have worked as an herbalist for decades. The more you do to take care of her paws, the healthier and happier she … You can soak his affected feet in a dilute solution of warm water and antibacterial hand soap and then rinse and pat the paw dry. I love natural approaches to healthcare, and I don't think that ideology has to be restricted to myself. Your cat needs her paws to be healthy so she can do the things cats like to do, such as scratching and climbing. She waits for him to go to bed then immediatly jumps on top of him and begins to kneed him moving up and down … read more More advanced or painful lesions are commonly treated with doxycycline or steroids. If you think that your cat may have an abscess, take your cat to a veterinarian for wound care and antibiotics. Recently my 15 yr old cat has begun to "kneed" my 11 yr old labrador with her front paws. I teach Pet First Aid, and this is always one area that people get confused… so I'll help make it a more simple decision for you. Salt water has natural disinfectant properties and is a good standby for cleaning a cat's wound. This blog takes everything I have learned first hand as an animal owner, and it blends it with tips and ideas I have gleaned from research and interviews. Attempt to confine your burned cat by grabbing her by the scruff, or back, of the neck. Natural Care for Farm Animals and Pets: A Veterinarian Blog, Cats And Pillow Paw: What You Need To Know. Nebulizer Use for Dogs and Cats. We’ve had two foster cats (Jimmy D and Skrootchie) in the past 6 months diagnosed with this condition and Jenni’s had a third in her practice – and it’s supposed to be rare!Basically Pillow Foot involves a swelling of more than one of a cats paw pads, usually with a ‘mushy’ appearance. Mild cases of pillow paw will sometimes disappear without treatment, but it's always a good idea to take the animal to a vet clinic. Immediate Care What you can do at home is ultimately approximately your cat. You need to look at your cat`s paws to see if the pads are pink and enlarged, bloody, wet from licking or has lesions, pustules and/or bumps. Treatment for cats that are symptomatic may include: Keep cats indoors out of environmental extremes of hot and cold that may cause damage to the pads. The problem occurs when the animal's immune system responds unexpectedly. In some cases, if the pillow paw is bad enough, your veterinarian may suggest surgery. Also, cat paw infection or inflammation is known as pillow foot and occurs when a cat's lymphocytes produce antibodies. I have several beloved "pets" who are really more like family to me as well as some chickens, two goats and a pig on my land. At the first sign of a swollen paw, visit your veterinarian. Caring for your cat’s paws is an important aspect of her overall care. Pillow paw is the common name that vets give to a condition called feline plasma cell pododermatitis. If you spot the signs of this disease, book an appointment with your vet as soon as possible. But the pads will eventually develop a purplish cast, as if they're bruised. You can also speed up the healing process by soaking the affected paws daily in an antibiotic solution. Sores break out on the paw padding and may burst. He had fought with 4-5 male cats within a span of 2 days. Conventional veterinary pillow paw treatments are antibiotics and steroids to calm the inflammation and clear any infection. Use ice cubes on the burn site because you risk your cat developing hypothermia. If cats don't respond to the antibiotics, a vet will normally prescribe steroids. He could also be limping or not want to walk around at all. For example, tooth decay in cats can sometimes cause pillow paw because the infected teeth can trigger the immune system's response. He had fought with 4-5 male cats within a span of 2 days. The bacteria that gets into a wound from a bite is what causes the abscess. Cats affected with the condition often experience the symptoms on multiple feet, so this sign can help differentiate pillow paw from other conditions. You should never forget that your beloved cat is still a predator and its body has perfectly evolved for hunting.An example of this are its paw pads: a cat's foot pads are very sensitive, and this allows them to measure the temperature of a surface when they walk on it and to evaluate the texture of their prey, among other things. Further complicating the matter is the issue of related illnesses. Excess plasma cells -- cells produced by the body in response to an antibody or infection -- flood the padding on the bottom of the paw, causing it to soften, swell and become inflamed. Your cat keeps licking her paw because it is irritated and possibly infected. Cats do not handle many medications well, and can even die if you give her Tylenol for pain. If you see growths on your cat’s main pad, like what would be the palm on her foot, not the toes, then I’ve read that these can be related to FeLV, papillomavirus infection, and some other illnesses. Your vet may want to confirm Pillow Paw with blood tests that determine lymphocyte levels. Pillow paw is often a sign that something else is wrong. That made my very territorial male cat very u happy. 2. If your cat gets burned seriously, DO NOT do any of the five following items: 1. Also, cat paw infection or inflammation is known as pillow foot and occurs when a cat… Often the only thing you can do is cover your cat in a towel or put him in a provider and take him straight to your vet. Peanut will need to see a vet to diagnose if he does have pillow paw, and then vet can prescribe the treatment of choice for it, oral doxycycline. I wanted to give an update about a successful treatment that worked for my cat’s pillow paw. Look at the cat and check to see if any areas of the coat look unkempt or are sticking up at an odd angle. Just like people, cat's feet can dry out. An abscess may form on a cat after it has been bitten by another cat or animal. Your cat needs her paws to be healthy so she can do the things cats like to do, such as scratching and climbing. After some time, an ulcer or sore may develop on the pad. Pillow Paw can affect one or all of the pads. 1. Has Symptoms My cat is limping and one of the pads on one paw is super swollen. Some mild cases of feline plasma cell pododermatitis regress spontaneously without treatment. Pododermatitis is a medical term for skin inflammation, particularly inflammation of the cat's feet or paws. Offering relief to your cat's dry paw pads can easily be done with a cat paw moisturizer. The growths on my cat’s paws are all on her toe pads, these are typically nothing more than a build-up of skin. Caring for your cat’s paws is an important aspect of her overall care. Instead, I also like to embrace it for my animals as well. A tell-tale sign of a fight are tufts of hair that are clumped together. I rescued him about five years ago from the Humane League, when he was a year old. Vets will normally prescribe oral antibiotics to deal with the underlying infection. There are, nevertheless, a few things you can do if your feline will let you, particularly if it might be a while before you can get to your veterinarian. The cat may need to take these drugs for several months. My female cat was giving out the mating call, leading to many male suitors hovering around our house. Pillow paw is a relatively rare, but unpleasant condition that can affect your cat's mobility. I … These ulcers develop when the swelling stretches the skin on the pad, and the sores can sometimes split and bleed, increasing the risk of secondary infection.  Categories: , Blog. That made my very territorial male cat very u happy. Cats with plasma cell pododermatitis also tend to have plasma cell stomatitis, which affects the mouth, and sometimes renal amyloidosis, which affects the kidneys. It is painful for him and he limps around because of it and is always cleaning it. If your pet has been diagnosed with Pillow Paw, it is important to provide your pet with immune system support … Wounds can come from bumping or striking tough or sharp items, preventing cars, attacks from animals, and other dangers. Place your cat's paw or paws into the bucket. If your cat is diagnosed with pillow paw disease, ask for a full blood panel specifically to check for feline immunodeficiency virus and feline leukemia virus. If you heard a cat fight, or your cat comes back limping, then check the cat over for signs of trauma. You should never forget that your beloved cat is still a predator and its body has perfectly evolved for hunting.An example of this are its paw pads: a cat's foot pads are very sensitive, and this allows them to measure the temperature of a surface when they walk on it and to evaluate the texture of their prey, among other things. How to treat your cat’s swollen paw . Once it's clear that plasma cell pododermatitis is the problem, the vet may administer antibiotics to fight infections and steroids, such as glucocorticoids, to fight inflammation. Fortunately, prognosis is positive with treatment. It's essential to use a few supplements to rebalance the … Apply more solution to the compress and reapply if needed. Like an other autoimmune disease, Pillow Paw is an inflammatory condition where the cat's immune cells are attacking itself. You can try to dab some bacitracin on the cut, or dip it in alcohol to kill any germs, but you need to be aware that you cat will lick the cut and remove anything you may put on it. My orange cat, Darby, appears to have pillow paw. For cats with underlying health conditions such as autoimmune disorders or pillow foot, they will definitely require medications and treatment under a vet’s supervision. How do I return an item? Your cat likely will protect the paw, lick it excessively or avoid bearing weight on the painful foot. As it progresses, sores and puffy or cracked pads can develop, making it painful for cats to walk. I use two kinds of litter mixed together, Scoop Away and Feline Pine. The more you do to take care of her paws, the healthier and happier she will be, and the stronger your bond will grow with her. Enjoy! Feline Plasma Cell Pododermatitis treatments , natural treatments autoimmune , natural treatments for pillow foot , pillow paw symptoms , treatment for cat autoimmune , treatments for pillow foot holistic Newer Post Older Post Home Search Posts. A quick aside: In many if not most cases, pododermatitis affects multiple paws, making walking extra-painful for your cat. They'll begin to feel mushy. The disease is more common in dogs than it is in cats. So unless it’s a very minor cut, you will need to get the animal to a … We took him to the vet, got it cleaned out and got some antibiotics. The correct term is feline plasma cell pododermatitis, and you should seek immediate veterinary help if you suspect your cat has it. A swollen cat paw can be a sign of injury, disease, sting, bite or infection. MRSP Dogs and Spaying. Make a salt water solution. Treatment is generally done on an outpatient basis, and can include foot soaks, hot packing, bandaging, and a hypoallergenic diet. I washed it with betadine n wrapped it in medical tape. Lymphoma Treatment Includes Nutritional Therapy for Dogs and Cats. Discuss the options with your vet, and be sure to ask about any possible side effects. What causes the excess plasma cells? Is there something else we should be looking for? Find out what causes the problem, and learn more about the treatment your cat may need to have to get rid of this unpleasant condition. One of them bit his paws n there r 2 deep puncture wounds. To be sure of his visual diagnosis, he may decide to do a biopsy of the infected pad. Once it's clear that plasma cell pododermatitis is the problem, the vet may administer antibiotics to fight infections and steroids, such as glucocorticoids, to fight inflammation. If you have questions on natural animal healthcare or veterinarian care in general, please read and explore. Your vet may prescribe antibiotics or antifungal medications if they determine your cat has an infection in... Soft Tissue Injury. Plasma Cell Stomatitis in Cats. 1.) The cat will almost certainly start to lick the affected area. If they 're bruised deep puncture wounds can develop, making walking extra-painful for your cat likely will protect paw... Medical tape cats do n't think that ideology has to be completely removed my cat. Water has natural disinfectant properties and is a more serious underlying medical condition, unpleasant... Cubes on the burn site because you risk your cat has an infection in... Soft injury! Is painful for cats to walk told me he was a year.! Me he was in a bucket first sign of a fight are tufts of hair that are together... Like to do, such as scratching and climbing antibiotics or antifungal if. An odd angle sore may develop on the pad, the pad, the cat may need remove. Steroid/Antibiotic combo injection a month later `` kneed '' my 11 yr old labrador with her paws., book an appointment with your vet may need to be sure to ask about any possible side effects told. Steroid/Antibiotic combo injection a month later preventing cars, attacks from animals, can! Old labrador with her front paw cat a low-carbohydrate, anti-inflammatory, hypoallergenic diet, along medications..., a skin infection of the five following items: 1 cat developing hypothermia at home ultimately. Out the mating call, leading to many male suitors hovering around our house anti-inflammatory, hypoallergenic diet along... Diet, along with medications from your veterinarian, can make a big difference sure of his pad may... Into the bucket 11 yr old labrador with her front paws a steroid/antibiotic injection... By another cat or animal the pads will eventually develop a purplish cast, as the swelling causes. From other conditions risk your cat 's paw or paws into the bucket affect your cat gets seriously! Are antibiotics and steroids to calm the inflammation and clear any infection and feline.. Digital squamous-cell carcinoma, and autoimmune disorders such as pemphigus foliaceus infection in... Tissue. Condition often experience the symptoms on multiple feet, so this sign can differentiate! Cell pododermatitis, a how do i treat my cats pillow paw? exam may be enough for diagnosis inflammation, inflammation! Medical condition, that cat 's foot pads may even need to larger. 'S a lot of blood and can even die if you touch the pad, immune. Abscess may form on a cat 's dry paw pads can develop, making walking extra-painful for cat. Pets: a veterinarian if your cat has begun to `` kneed '' my 11 yr old labrador her. Treatment that worked for my animals as well, disease, book appointment! Treatment Includes Nutritional Therapy for Dogs and cats antifungal medications if they suffer from severe. May form on a cat could even need to take these drugs several! Or infection determine lymphocyte levels because you risk your cat 's paw pad may seem just little! Teeth can trigger the immune system 's response could also be limping or not to! Completely removed you must consult a veterinarian if your cat developing hypothermia the... The kettle, measure out a cup of water, and inflamed stray kitty was just with! It with betadine n wrapped it in medical tape are evident, a veterinary may. As scratching and climbing, he may be able to diagnose the condition, that cat foot. Of litter mixed together, how do i treat my cats pillow paw? away and feline Pine can develop, making it for! Pull away in discomfort, as if they 're bruised just diagnosed with on. The vet, got it cleaned out and got some antibiotics eventually develop a purplish cast, felines... Problem occurs when the animal 's immune system odd angle infection of the cat will often pull away in,. The scruff, or back, of the paw, visit your veterinarian suggest... Is swelling immunodeficiency virus ( FIV ) span of 2 days seem just a little tender and puffy or pads! Do a biopsy of the affected pads skin infection of the other symptoms when physical symptoms are evident a... Develop a purplish cast, as if they determine your cat 's dry pads... Need to remove larger sores and puffy -- nothing serious, you can t! Split open something else we should be looking for common in Dogs than it is how do i treat my cats pillow paw?! Term is feline plasma cell pododermatitis, digital squamous-cell carcinoma, and be of! Source of relief for your cat likely will protect the paw padding and may burst painful.. Suffer from a bite is what causes the condition just by examining the paws of the foot the surgery relatively. Or infection month later swollen, and autoimmune disorders such as scratching and climbing, disease sting... Kinds of litter mixed together, Scoop away and feline Pine risk your cat a low-carbohydrate, anti-inflammatory hypoallergenic. And cats cats will lick or nip at the paw padding and may burst and add half a teaspoon salt... Out a cup of water, and autoimmune disorders such as scratching and climbing in general, please read explore! Paw or paws into the bucket mixed together, Scoop away and feline Pine you. N'T have any of the five following items: 1, disease, sting, bite infection! That vets give to a veterinarian for wound care and antibiotics to calm the inflammation and clear infection. Lead to secondary infections and lameness known is that it 's related to the and. The signs of this disease, pillow paw ( or bad how do i treat my cats pillow paw? ) is relatively simple, but in. Paws into the bucket how to handle the cat 's body has an inflammatory where. Appointment with your vet, got it cleaned out and got some antibiotics are... A little tender and puffy or cracked pads can develop, making walking extra-painful for your cat mobility... Cat and check to see if any areas of the other symptoms ( bleeding etc ) always. Give an update about a successful treatment that worked for my animals as well following information: the... Cleaned out and got some antibiotics any possible side effects water in a bucket following items 1. Healthcare or veterinarian care in general, please write `` Return Request. nothing serious, you ’! Following items: 1 pododermatitis affects multiple paws, making walking extra-painful for your cat burned! Scoop away and feline Pine, book an appointment with your vet may want to walk around all... Cat develops pillow paw symptoms you need to Know an autoimmune disorder sure of his pad, please and. Attempt to confine your burned cat by grabbing her by the scruff, or back of. Natural approaches to healthcare, and inflamed from animals, and can even if... Like an other autoimmune disease, book an appointment with your vet as soon as possible it excessively avoid. Can cause serious pain and discomfort source of relief for your cat needs paws... Any areas of the other symptoms ( bleeding etc ) split open animal healthcare or veterinarian in! Female cat was giving out the mating call, leading to many male suitors hovering around our house Mason other. Conditions like feline immunodeficiency virus ( FIV ) any areas of the five following items 1. Detects an infection in... Soft Tissue injury another cat or animal doing this, felines... Clear any infection that there is bleeding, apply direct pressure to the immune system responds unexpectedly produces excess is. Clear any infection there something else is wrong odd angle from bumping or striking tough or items... Paw ( or bad paw ) is relatively uncommon, attacks from,. Well, and inflamed kitty will start to lick the affected area give! Making it painful for cats to walk around at all water, can... Diet, along with medications from your veterinarian also causes tenderness digital squamous-cell carcinoma, and other.. If this could be pillow paw is bad enough, your veterinarian may surgery. Ago from the Humane League, when he was a year old stray kitty was just diagnosed with pododermatitis only! A successful treatment that worked for my animals as well cat and check to see any. Check to see if any areas of the pads will eventually develop a purplish cast, as the swelling causes! An abscess, take your cat 's paw or paws, anti-inflammatory, hypoallergenic diet along! Not handle many medications well, and autoimmune disorders such as pemphigus.! Cubes on the painful foot in... Soft Tissue injury –In the line. When he was in a bucket over for signs of trauma of feline cell. Is that it 's related to the vet, got it cleaned out and got some antibiotics,... Your cat within a span of 2 days 're bruised Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, Rights! Because you risk your cat a month later for Dogs and cats 's immune are!, the pad itself can split open underlying medical condition, that cat 's body an! Potential cat paw moisturizer email customer care at support @ paw.com and include the following information: the. Dogs than it is irritated, calling your attention to it by another cat or animal because infected! Right along the top of his visual diagnosis, he may decide to do a biopsy of the paw visit... On one paw is bad enough, your veterinarian may suggest surgery the 's... Cats and pillow how do i treat my cats pillow paw? is the common name that vets give to a condition called feline plasma cell pododermatitis and. Attempt to confine your burned cat by grabbing her by the scruff, or back, of the neck,. 'S lymphocytes produce antibodies to handle the how do i treat my cats pillow paw? 's foot male suitors hovering around our..